Lead is a heavy metal found in everywhere, it has been used in many products including, automobile, home decorations, water services lines, kid’s toys and several paint products. Lead is added to products to increase paint durability, help it to dry faster and resist to moisture. Typical wear and tear will occur overtime to all painted products as a result of friction. One of the telltale signs of lead in paint is peels and cracks “alligatoring,” which looks like reptilian scales when the layer starts to crack and wrinkle. If paint creates a chalky residue when it rubs off, it could also contain lead.

Lead based paint, dust and construction materials surface containing lead can pose very serious helath hazard, specillay for childern under the age of six and women during pregnancy stage. High levels of lead can cuase permanent learning disability and / or behavior problems. Lead poisoning is most often caused by swallowing or breathing in lead dust by accident.

Lead in blood during pregnacy:
  • Increase risk for miscarriage
  • Cause the baby to be born too early or too small
  • Hurt the baby’s brain, kidneys, and nervous system
  • Cause the child to have learning or behavior problems

Lead exposure can cause high blood pressure and brain, kidney and reproductive health issues in adults. Symptoms of lead poisoning include headaches, stomach cramps, constipation, muscle pain, joint pain, trouble sleeping, fatigue, irritability, and loss of sex drive.

The federal government banned lead based paint in residentail properties in 1978; The older your home, the more likely it contains lead-based paint in walls, woodworks, railings, baseboards, tiles, bathtubs etc.